Shankhpushpi , शंखपुष्पी Medicinal Benefits
Botanical Name-Convolvulus pluricaulis
Family-Convolvulaceae (Trivrit Kul)
Habit-A prostrate perennial herb.
- Intellect promoting
- Nervine tonic
- Health promoting
- Complexion promoter
Parts Used-Whole plant
Description-Shankhpushpi or Convolvulus pluricaulis is an indigenous plant commonly mentioned in Ayurveda, an ancient system of Indian medicine, as a rasayana which is mainly advocated for use in mental stimulation and rejuvenation therapy. Little human research has been published in the Western medical literature regarding this plant. One study shows shankhpushpi to have anti-ulcer effects due to augmentation of mucosal defensive factors like mucin secretion and glycoproteins.
Another study showed that Shankhpushp? may be helpful in improving symptoms of hyperthyroidism by reducing the activity of a liver enzyme
The whole herb is used medicinally in the form of decoction with cumin and milk in fever, nervous debility, loss of memory, also in syphilis, and scrofula. Shankhpushpi is used as a brain tonic. Is used as a tonic, alterative and febrifuge. It is a sovereign remedy in bowel complaints especially dysentery. The plant is reported to be a prominent memory improving drug. It is used as a psychostimulant and tranquilizer. It is reported to reduce mental tension. The ethanolic extract of the plant reduces total serum cholesterol, triglycerides, phospholipids and nonesterfied fatty-acid.
Dosage— Expressed juice -2-4 tola
Powder -3-6 masha
- Shankhpushpi is a rasayana specially promoting intellect.
- In Insanity-Fresh expressed juice of Shankhpushpi is given in a dosage 2-4 tola.
- In Insomnia and Delirium-Powder of Shankhpushp should be given with cumin & milk.
- In Chronic cough and Asthma-Smoking of Shankhpushpi leaves is useful.
- In Haematemesis-Expressed juice of shankhpushpi is useful.
- Useful in Pyuria, Dysuria and Seminal debility.