Acute phosphorous poisoning is seen following ingestion of rat poison, in agricultural workers who use fertilizers, pesticides, and insecticides are used.
The condition is diagnosed by the following features.
- There is pain in throat and abdomen.
- There is intense thirst.
- Nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea follow.
- There is odor of garlic on breath.
- Cramps are present.
- There is headache.
- Profound weakness is experienced.
- Give repeated stomach was with 1% copper sulphate solution followed by 1:10,000 potassium permanganate solution. Leave mineral oil in stomach at the end of the stomach wash.
- Treat shock, dehydration and acidosis.
- Avoid fats and oils in the diet for several days, because they promote absorption of phosphorous.