It is grayish – white color. It is used in pesticides, dyes, and medicines. All of these are toxic if ingested or inhaled in sufficient quantity. Arsenic is very poisonous.
The condition is diagnosed by the following features.
- It has metallic taste.
- There is odor of garlic on breath.
- Vomiting and purging are present.
- Dehydration, shock syndrome, coma, convulsions, paralysis, severe may be present.
- There is diarrhea which later on becomes bloody.
- Give gastric lavage with a lot of water. If this is not possible, induce vomiting.
- Maintain fluid and electrolyte balance.
- Give morphine for pain.
- Treat for shock.
- Treat anemia and renal failure if either is present.