Any disturbance with the normal functioning of the brain and the nerves can bring about unconsciousness. It may be due not only to some disease of or injury to the brain, but also of other organs in the body.
What are the causes of unconsciousness?
Unconsciousness may be due to any of the following causes.
- Acute fever
- Alcohol consumption
- Brain injuries
- Diabetes or overdoes of insulin
- Heat stroke or exhaustion
- Metabolic disturbances
- Severe loss of body fluids
- Do not try to arouse an unconscious person. Let him lie quietly
- Do not pour water on him.
- Do not move him unnecessarily
- Let him have fresh air.
- Loosen clothes around his neck, chest and waist.
- Do not give him anything orally.
- Resuscitate him if he has cardio respiratory arrest.
- Keep him in recovery position.
- Apply specific treatment for the cause of unconsciousness
- Send him to a hospital immediately.