It is a condition characterized by a drop in blood sugar level below normal. It occurs in a person suffering from diabetes mellitus, who takes his medication but does not eat as required.
The condition is diagnosed by the following features.
- The person behaves abnormally.
- There is excessive sweating , weakness, faintness, and tremors
- He may become unconscious.
- If the patient is conscious, give him glucose in water orally. If that is not available. Give him anything sweet orally.
- If he is unconscious, keep him in recovery position and give him 20 ml of 25% glucose solution intravenously.
- Send him to a hospital immediately.