It occurs when there is exposure to temperatures above the critical tissue temperature in presence of moisture over prolonged periods. Predisposing conditions are malnutrition. Deficiency of proteins, vitamins and dehydration.
The condition is diagnosed by the following features.
- There is hyperemia of the pat.
- The affected part feels numb.
- Pain, itching and tingling, and paresthesia
- Blisters appear later.
- Infection may develop locally.
- Rewarm the part gradually.
- Shift him to a doctor’s clinic.