Skin is the first tissue to become cooled. During very cold weather, especially if there is also a strong wind, frostbite occurs in the ears, nose, chin, hands and feet.
The condition is diagnosed by the following features.
- Initially there is a white patch on a red face. Then it changes to mottled blue color.
- Pickling pain is felt in affected part.
- The exposed part becomes cold, painful and finally numb.
- It becomes waxy white in appearance.
- Prolonged freezing causes irreparable damage.
- Warming the body gradually. Place the injured part in hot water if available. It is better to warm him by dry or radiant heat.
- Elevate the affected parts to relieve swelling and pain.
- Take the patient to a closed room.
- If the frozen part is on the face, cover it with a gloved hand until normal color and sensation return.
- Remove his tight gloves, boots, socks, rings etc, in case of frostbite of fingers to toe. Place the hand may be placed under the clothing in the axilla. Wrap the feet in a warm cloth.
- Do not rub the frozen part with anything.
- Give him warm drinks. Do not allow the victim to smoke.
- Shift him to a hospital immediately.