This is more severe injury than n sprain. It occurs when a strong force acts directly or indirectly on a joint pulling a bone into an abnormal position. It can occur as a result of sudden muscular contraction too. There is displacement of one or more bones at a joint. There is also tearing of ligaments, joint capsule, and tissues around the joint. Shoulder and hip joints are commonly involved in adults, while elbow, finger, and lower jaw joints are more commonly involved in children.
The condition is diagnosed by the following features.
- There is severe pain at or near the joint.
- Deformity is seen.
- Swelling of the joint and late bruising around the joint.
- There is immobility of the joint
- It may be associated with a fracture.
- Place the victim down in supine position.
- Do not try to reduce the dislocation.
- Do not give him anything orally.
- Apply a sling in case of hands.
- Shift him to a hospital immediately. Use a in case of dislocation in the lower limb.