It is a small bone in front of the knee joint. It forms the point of attachment of the large muscles of the thigh. It may be fractured from direct blow or as a result of muscular pull.
The condition is diagnosed by the following features.
- Pain on the front of the knee joint.
- Tenda-ness at knee.
- Loss of movements at knee joint.
- Swelling and bruising at knee.
- Crepitus over the patella.
- Place the casualty on the back with the head and shoulders elevated, supported by rolled blankets.
- Place a splint below the injured leg, extending from below the buttocks to below the heel. Place padding the la-lee to fill the hollow, and the heel so as to raise it off the splint. Apply a figure of eight bandage around the ankle, foot and the splint. Tie the knots against the sides of the splint.
- Shift him to a hospital immediately.