The clavicle fractures due to fall the outstretched hand or on the tip of the shoulder.
It is diagnosed by the presence of the following:
- Pain and tenderness at the site of injury increased by movement of the upper limb.
- Reluctance of the victim to move the limb on the injured side.
- He may be found to be supporting the arm on the injured side at the elbow to relieve pain.
- Place the victim in sitting position, with the limb on the injured side across the chest, the fingertips reaching the opposite shoulder.
- Place a pad of gauze or cloth between the arm and on that side.
- Support the limb in an elevation sling (see the chapter on bandages).
- Shift him to a hospital.