Wounds of palm of the hand
These wounds tend to bleed profusely. There is also the risk of injury to the nerves and tendons in the palm. In such cases, there is a loss of sensation in the affected fingers, and inability to move the fingers.
- Control the bleeding by placing a pad of sterile gauze over the wound and applying pressure.
- Ask the victim to clench the fist to maintain the pressure.
- Elevate the injured hand.
- Apply a firm bandage over the fist.
- Support the arm in an elevated sling before transport to a hospital.