In certain situations, mouth to mouth respiration cannot be given e.g. when the face is damaged, the lower jaw is fractured, or the lips and mouth have been burned by a poison. In such cases, manual methods are used.
Prone pressure method (Schafer)
- Place the victim in prone position, head turned to one side, resting on the back of over lapped hands.
- Kneel by his side at the level of the hips.
- Place the hands on the lower part of the back, the wrists almost touching, thumbs forward and fingers apposed.
- Keep your upper limbs straight as you lean forwards so as to apply pressure by the weight of the body.
- Then rock backwards to release the pressure.
- Repeat the cycle 12 times a minute.