Ashwagandha Plant Medicinal Benefits
Botanical Name-Withania somnifera
Family-Solanaceae (Kantkari Kul)
Habit-An armed hairy herb, 1-5 ft in height
“Asvagendha- nilaslesma switrasothakshyapaha Balya rasayanitikta kasayasna tisukrala.” -Bha. Pra.
Taste-Bitter, acrid, sweety
- Health promotor
Description-Indian Ginseng, Ajagandha, Clustered Wintercherry, Kanaje, Orovale, Samm Ferakh, Strychnos, Withania are the other names used for the Aswagandha. It has derived its name from the Sanskrit work meaning ‘Horse smell.
Ashwagandha is an evergreen shrub that grows up to the height of 0.5 m to 1.5 m. It is covered by the leaves all round the year. The flowers are hermaphrodite (they have both the male and the female organs) and are greenish yellow in colour. Its fruit and berries are orange-red in colour. Its roots are whitish brown in colour. Aswagandha is a small woody shrub and flowers all the year round.
Withania coagulens and Withania simonii are the other related species of the Ashwagandha.
Ashwagandha is grown in all the parts of India. It is grown in India as the crop and can also be grown in the Kitchen garden. One can find this medicinal plant in the Sariska Tiger Reserve, Ranthambore National Park and Eravikulam National Park in India. It is also found in various Botanical gardens in India.
It is found in the woodland garden, cultivated beds and dappled shade.
Ripe red fruits of the plant are dried in the warm and well ventilated space. After some days the berries are separated, washed and dried up properly. Its seed can be shown in the early spring, they get germinated within two weeks, prefers light sandy, medium loamy and well drained soil. It grows more in the sunlight than in the shade.
Powder -3-5 gms.
- As Rasayan—One who takes powder of Aswagandhs root in late winter mixet with honey and ghee along with milk regains youthfulness even if old.
- In Bronchial Asthma—The ask (alkali) of Aswagandhs should be taken with honey and ghee.
- The powder of Aswagandhs mixed with sugar & taken with ghee alleviates insomnia.
- In Cardiac disorder—The powder of Aswagandhs and Bibhitak mixed with jaggery and taken with tepid water alleviated vata located in heart.
- Suppression of urine—Decoction of Aswagandhs removes suspression of urine and promotes urination.