Cyanide is a very strong it may be in the form of a salt of sodium, potassium or hydrogen cyanide, or in the form of a gas. It is used in steel industry, electroplating, fumigation, and manufacture of insecticide and rodenticide.
Its poisoning is diagnosed by the following features.
- The onset of symptoms is within a few seconds of exposure.
- The victim utters a cry and becomes unconscious.
- Death usually occurs within 5 minutes.
- Smaller doses produce an acrid taste, a choking feeling, anxiety, dizziness and headache.
- Induce emesis immediately.
- Give gastric lavage.
- Give the victim amyl nitrate to inhale immediately. Give it for 15 to 30 seconds every 2 to 3 minutes.
- Sift him to a hospital immediately.