Home » First Aid » First Aid Treatment of Bee and Wasp bites its causes and diagnose-Bites and Stings

Bee and Wasp bites

Bees and wasps are the most harmful amongst all insects. Their stings have one type of poison in small quantity. Some people could be very sensitive to the poison and develop severe reaction to it.

The condition is diagnosed by the following features.

  1. There is severe pain locally.
  2. Itching and swelling develop around the central reddened puncture point.
  3. Sting may be found in the wound.
  4. Persons hypersensitive to the poison in the sting develop severe reaction characterized by fall in blood pressure and respiratory difficulty due to swelling in the throat and contraction of the windpipe. The victim may become unconscious, and develop anaphylactic shock and die if not treated in time.

First Aid

  1. Remove the sting with tweezers, held as near to the skin as possible. An alternative method is to rub the skin in the affected area gently, so that the skin puncture enlarges a little, and the sting comes out along with the poison around it. Do not squeeze the poison sac because this will force the remaining poison into the skin.
  2. Apply ammonia, soda or methylene blue locally as antidote for bee venom
  3. Apply vinegar or lemon juice locally as antidote for wasp venom.
  4. Apply a cold compress and spirit locally to relieve the pain and swelling.
  5. For treatment of swelling caused by insect stings inside the mouth or throat, give ice to suck. Ask the victim to, rinse the mouth with cold water or solution of water and bicarbonate of soda.
  6. Place the victim in recovery position if breathing becomes difficult. Shift him to a hospital immediately.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Name
Email
Website